8.03.2011

IMATS Special Effects Makeup & The Secrets of True Blood

Yesterday I shared photos from classes I attended at IMATS that were more editorial and beauty makeup focused. But the convention also showcases the body painting, special effects, and character makeup sides of this industry. My experience with this type of makeup has been mostly experimental. A body painting project for a class in art school and eerily realistic horror makeup or various other costumes involving blood and products with names like "Cadaver Grey" for Halloween over the years.




Special effects artists are incredible, and I hope one day I have the opportunity to work under an artist in this field. I had a chance to sit front row for Bloody Sunday: A True Blood Panel Discussion, and see never-before-seen makeup test shots, and hear the makeup and FX team talk about having one of the coolest jobs around! The following are some photos I snapped throughout the weekend of various FX makeups around the convention, and a few shots from the True Blood panel. I tried to pick and choose, but there were too many good ones! Enjoy!






I checked back throughout the day to see the progression of FX artist Scott Ramp's work.

Sho Takebe, 1st place winner of the Student Competition.

Colorful and glittery body painting at MAC.
In progress body painting at Make Up For Ever.
The makeup and FX team of True Blood.
Some visuals they shared revealing the coolest secrets of scenes from the show.
By far the raddest IMATS attendee, showing off his body painting!