6.10.2011

Treat Dad to a Proper Shave this Father's Day

Ladies, I don't know about you but getting my hair done is one of my favorite treats to myself. It's not just a hair cut/color, it's about the whole experience. Same goes for facials, manicures, pedicures...the list goes on and on. We know how to spoil ourselves! But what about the gentlemen in our lives? They deserve to be pampered every once in a while too. With Father's Day just around the corner (June 19th), do you know what you're getting for Dad?


Insert the old fashioned barber's shave. A little bit of history for you: back in the middle ages, the task of performing surgeries was passed to barbers, due to their experience with razors (and some interesting rules and restriction of the religious kind). The barber-surgeon extracted teeth, performed bloodletting, and of course gave haircuts. Imagine getting a haircut and an appendectomy from the same person! Read up on it if it sparks your interest; I think it's all pretty fascinating. Fast forward to today: barbering is still truly a craft. And can be quite a treat for any man, especially those accustomed only to shaving at home.


Earlier this week, I accompanied my boyfriend, Jayson, to an appointment at the Fellowship of Barber Surgeons. Located in the heart of the Normal Heights community in San Diego, the shop is tucked just behind their sister salon, Hair Drezzers on Fire, on Adams Ave. & Mansfield St. We had stopped by the day before, but they were booked up. After scheduling an appointment for the next day, they offered us a beverage and invited us to hang out in the back for a game of ping pong. Cool! 


So how'd the appointment go? Great! I hadn't seen my boyfriend's face in a few months. Don't get me wrong, I love a burly beard. Maybe because it looks brawny and rugged, or maybe it just makes me think of ultra manly hockey players. But I was excited to see the transformation. And he was looking forward to the hot towels and straight razor that would lead to super smooth skin.

Before


Overall from start to finish, he was in the chair for about 30-40 minutes. I won't give away all the secrets, or go into too much detail about it, since I really think you boys need to experience it yourself. This was Jayson's second time going there for a shave, and he will surely be back again.




Through a series of hot & cold towels, lotions and potions, and steady handiwork with a straight razor, I was presented with a clean shaven boyfriend!

After


Guys, you don't have to have as dramatic a change as Jayson did. Just a little stubble will do. On top of offering the shave, they have quite the menu of services to choose from. Care for a Labotomy or some Cranial Shaping? Head over to their site if you're not savvy to barber-surgeon speak!


So if you are looking for a great gift for Father's Day, get down to Normal Heights and treat Dad to an appointment with the fine folks at the Fellowship of Barber Surgeons. This would also be a great treat for a groom-to-be, or the birthday of the man in your life. They've got plenty of regulars too, so do call ahead and make an appointment! This is a popular place for good reason!